Monday, September 25, 2006

Twain on polygamy


Pretty funny
---

Once when Mark Twain was lecturing in Utah, a Mormon acquaintance
argued with him on the subject of polygamy. After a long and rather
heated debate, the Mormon finally said, "Can you find for me a single
passage of Scripture which forbids polygamy?" "Certainly," replied
Twain. "'No man can serve two masters.'"

"Our stay in Salt Lake City amounted to only two days, and therefore
we had no time to make the customary inquisition into the workings of
polygamy, I had the will to do it. With the gushing self-sufficiency
of youth I was feverish to plunge in headlong and achieve great reform
here, until I saw the Mormon women.
My heart was wiser than my head. It warmed toward these poor ungainly
and pathetically "homely" creatures, and as I turned to hide the
generous moisture in my eyes, I said, "No, the man that marries one of
them has done an act of Christian charity which entitles him to the
kindly applause of mankind, not their harsh censure, and the man that
marries sixty of them has done a deed of open-handed generosity so
sublime that the nations should stand uncovered in his presence and
worship in silence."

No comments: